Friday, March 17, 2006

Never too late...

"I'm really happy nowadays... because we're so much closer now..."

Her eyes brimmed with tears when she read the message her sister left her on MSN. Her thoughts floated back to the times when they were young... when they had pretty much no one else but each other. Still, they fought non-stop.

Their mother had to work all the time especially during month end when it's time to balance the statements. Thus, the girls had to take care of themselves after the domestic help quit. The elder sister, having been the only child for 6 years till her little sister came along, was not very happy that she had to share her parents' affections with someone else now. Thus, the little girl never felt very close to her sister.

Things only got worse as the elder sister went to stay with her paternal grandparents while the younger one went over to the maternal grandmother after their parents split. They never had the chance to bond like sisters do... doing the girlie things sisters do together during their growing up years, sharing clothes, having girl talk and all.

It was only after the elder sister turned 16 that she moved in with her maternal grandmother. All these years apart has done nothing to strengthen their relationship. Occasionally, the little one would do something stupid like all little ones do... but the elder sister would be very mean... All the verbal accusations, physical beatings... Was something which the little one never forgot...

All the years, she envied friends who had nice, caring elder sisters whom they could share lots with... Someone whom they could turn to for advice and someone whom they could depend on when the need arises...

It can't be said that they hate each other... however, they didn't really love each other that much too.

Years past.... Time flies and before they knew it, they have both blossomed.

The day her elder sister got married to a man who loved her alot, the little one truly felt happy for her from the bottom of her heart.

The day the elder sister gave birth to her first son, the little one felt this sense of pride... Something she never knew she felt about her sister...

Subsequently, they started talking to each other over the phone, strained conversations, but still, at least they talked. Then, they started smsing each other more... and then they progressed to MSN-ing...

Then, afternoon tea and short shopping sessions together became a frequent thing... It's as if they were catching up on lost time... Better late than never, they both think...

After all these years, they have finally came to terms with their differences while complementing each other's temperament...

It certainly wasn't easy and they probably took the road less travelled... but still they managed to find 'reconciliation'.

I suppose, it's never too late for anything... as long as you care about it enough, it's never too late...

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

=) kj

9:55 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

+hugs+
happy for u. it's not true that "nothing's ever too late". but glad u caught up on it before it became "too late". jus dun leave any room for regrets. kudos!

9:16 AM  
Blogger paradox-is-me said...

Yeah, get what you mean by it's not true that "nothing's ever too late".

Nah, have learnt many lessons and thus wised-up... will make sure I wouldn't have any room for regrets! =)

10:17 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

dear sis...u are absolutely right...we have been thru so much...from pencil marks left on one another to thrown exercise books down a flat...(dun mean to embarrass anyone)...but I LOVE U SOOOOOO MUCH!!! When you managed to clear the recent "u know what"...I was damn proud of you...u shd hv seen the beam upon my face...I am so blessed to have such a wonderful sis like you. I just wish for your happiness and joy...and with such impeccable taste...I am sure you will live life to the fullest...u know...sometimes I look back and I wondered if things would be different now if we had not been thru so much. I really thank God for giving me a sis like you. U always gave me courage and strength when I was down even when ur words may hurt at times...

Thank u for sharing your blog with me...I really see the other side of you...

U know how the tough gets tougher and how damn down I am with my job...but everytime u tell me that I'm OK...I know I really AM...

Thanks sis...if there's ever anything I wanna say....that is..."I LOVE U"!!!

7:28 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home